An early announcement for the Chevening grant 2022. We received an email from the Chevening secretariat where the applications are opened August 3, 2021 and it will close on November 2nd, 2021. Chevening is a fully-funded UK Government Scholarship for full-time study 1-year master’s course In the United Kingdom. Check out this post to learn how to win a Chevening Scholarship. You don’t need a professional Work experience.
Last year 1800 Chevening Scholarships has been made available to all students from all over the world. Last year, due to COVID-19, Chevening removed the English language requirement like IELTS or TOEFL. We’re not sure what they’re going to do this year. The Chevening Scholarship is open to any country. There are no country restrictions. The last application deadline is the same for all countries.
The scholarship covers your Accommodation, tuition fees, fees, plane tickets, books, scholarship, vis costs, etc. Everything is covered. So don’t worry, you don’t have to spend a single penny. To do this, however, you will have to invest most of your time to be selected for the Chevening Scholarship for 2022. We’ll walk you through the entire process, guidelines, hacks for Chevening Scholarships, and reasons for winning a Chevening Scholarship.
How Can You Win a Chevening Scholarship?
Application tips for the Chevening Scholarship
Chevening is highly regarded due to its competitive selection process. In 2020 they had over 68,000 applicants from 168 countries, but only 1,800 of us made it.
You are free to choose from over 12,000 master’s courses at over 150 different universities.
Your Chevening Application must list at least three courses. All courses are in the one-year master’s program.
Pro tip: Please apply in more than 3 universities, at the at least 5 to 6 to secure entry, because if you have not been admitted to one of the universities named in your application form and you are admitted to the 4th university (which is not mentioned in the application form), your scholarship can still be secured.
If you have been invited to an interview, you can use the interview to provide information about the 4th university for which you have an admission offer.
NOTE: University application: You don’t need a university letter of admission to apply for Chevening at this point.
In your application, give preference to the universities that you believe have the best chances of admission. However, you can change the preference later in the interview phase.
The selection process takes about a year and includes application, interview, conditional offer, final award and pre-departure briefing. I’m not going to lie, the process requires extraordinary mental and emotional strength, but don’t let that stop you from this life changing opportunity.
Personally, I am glad I went through the process and am now enjoying my Masters here in the UK. If you’re thinking of applying yourself, here are some tips from my experience.
Work experience is required for the Chevening Scholarship?
Chevening won hearts here. You do not need any practical work experience for Chevening. Chevening scholarships require at least two years of professional experience.
The types of work experience eligible for Chevening can include:
- Full time employment
- Part-time employment
- voluntary work
- Paid or unpaid internships
You do not have to meet the professional experience requirement in one period of employment. Applicants can specify up to ten different periods of employment to meet the requirement. If you have held more than ten positions, please enter the periods that make up the majority of the hours worked.
Chevening Scholarships – two years of work experience = 2,800 hours
How to Win a Chevening Scholarship Interview
At the interview you have about 1 hour convince a jury that you are worthy of this incredible opportunity. Here are some general things to keep in mind.
If you are shortlisted for a Chevening Fellowship, you will be invited for an interview in the city / town where the UK Embassy or High Commission is represented.
Book a morning slot
If you are selected for the Chevening Interview Scholarship, you can book a time slot for the interview.
Try your best to book a morning slot. Studies have shown that teachers, judges, and interviewers tend to be tougher when they are tired.
Imagine interviewing 5 to 6 people every day for 15 days and you would end up pretty tired of it. So you should take a look at the panel when you are in the best mood, first thing in the morning.
Be consistent with your essays
The panel will spend much of the interview asking for more details in order to clear up the things you mention in your essays. You should know your essays inside and out.
You should go really deep into what you’ve written and analyze not only your experiences but also your logic and motivation (why and how you did certain things), passion and goals (what drives you forward). The panel does not necessarily ask you to repeat what has already been written, but goes deeper into the details to understand your true motivation.
It is very important that you are consistent with your essay (especially when talking about your passion and motivation) as this gives an impression of confidence and authenticity.
Examples of interview questions at Chevening Question
- Why do I want to study in the UK?
- Why am I interested in Chevening?
- Why did I choose my course of study?
- Why do I consider myself a leader?
- My short and long term professional goals (especially related to what the UK is doing in my country).
- How will my country benefit from my experience and know-how in the future?
There are 4 essays in total, each essay should be 500 words;
1st Essay is about the candidate’s networking skills
- A candidate should mention their networking and personal relationships both nationally and internationally.
- He should talk about how he interacts with people in a variety of professions, including government and international officials, government agencies and universities.
- He should mention how familiar he was with a different culture, age group, and socio-economic class.
- He should briefly describe how long he has been involved in long-term relationships.
- He should improve his communication skills in various areas.
2nd Essay would ask about your leadership skills
- A candidate should explain the scenarios in which they played leadership roles.
- How he mastered good team management skills in various projects.
- How he managed community projects with a fixed budget.
- How he takes each member’s opinion into account and negotiates among them.
- How he worked with different personalities and managed successful projects.
- How his leadership project contributed to this in the long term and brought about a positive change in his community.
3rdapprox Essay would ask you about future career plans
- A candidate should mention their career plans, which show how they will support their community or country.
- All goals should be smart enough and realistic.
- A candidate’s plans should include a social, academic, and professional approach.
- A candidate must relate their skills, volunteer work, and work experience.
4ththe Essay would be about why you would like to continue your studies in the UK
- Desires to study in the UK vary from person to person, but the reasons should be sound and reasonable.
- The UK has earned good merits for a one-year Master’s.
- Great Britain has the best leading universities in the world.
- In the academic field, Great Britain is one of the top countries.
- A candidate should mention their interest in intercultural understanding.
- A candidate should show interest in international research that would contribute to the community
Letter of recommendation:
- A candidate must submit 2 letters of reference.
- A reviewer must know the applicant professionally or scientifically.
- Letters of reference would be reviewed by the UK Council as soon as a candidate is shortlisted.
I believe that if you follow the tips above, you can easily make your application stand out. You can search for more information on how to win a Chevening Scholarship and you can find more materials.